Monday, August 11, 2008

Butterflies


This picture looks like a butterfly that wanders through my yard every day around noon. This isn't a picture of the actual butterfly I see because by the time I get my camera, he/she has wandered to the next yard and on with his/her daily routine.
I have identified immensely with the story of the butterfly that is the metaphor for life. Butterflies have become my new symbol for my life. I'm paraphrasing, but the story is about a man who sees a butterfly struggling to get out of its cocoon. He thinks he will be nice and help the butterfly so it won't have to struggle so much. The butterfly spends his/her life stumbling around and not ever flying because its wings aren't strong enough to carry it. The moral of the story is that life must have struggles to give us strength to live whole, healthy, productive lives. I also like to think that the struggles I have faced, have given me a great deal of appreciation for the life I have now. My relationships are stronger, more honest, deeper and more meaningful; and they wouldn't be that if I hadn't struggled through the relationships of the past and failed.

No comments: