Monday, November 3, 2008

And we're off

In June I tried the writing a book in a month project and failed. So I decided to wait until Novebmer when NaNoWriMo had their official contest. We began midnight on the 1st of November and will be writing 50,000 words by November 30th. I'm already behind. I should be at 5,001 words by the end of today, I just logged 1971 (Chris Baty, the founder of NaNoWriMo has logged 4,012 words before today begins...overachiever). I am giving myself some slack, I'm working, I have to walk Callie, and I have my ever important meetings...I do have a couple of days off this week, and am planning to use those as my makeup days. I've also had a couple of people put me on their buddy list. Nothing like the buddy system to gain encouragement. Finally, too, I think I have a better premise that I can actually follow through. And that's the goal...finish! Prove to myself that I can finish it. Whatever happens after that doesn't matter, I just want to show myself I can create an entire manuscript.

One of the things I find is I am have trouble sitting in the minutiae. You have to have a certain amount of detail, I know other writers do it really well, but I imagine it's tedious for them too. What I have to remember is that if I do the appropriate amount of detail it increases my word count!

No comments: