Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration

I'm sitting here watching the inauguration on the web and thinking about my great grandmother. Grandma Ackerman will be 103 in July if she lives that long. She told Mom at Christmas that she wants to write her family history. Mom wants me to do it. I have been reluctant because of the time commitment involved. But what else do I have but time. I have to work and go to my meetings and care for Callie, but that's it. I've never had more time than I have now and nothing is likely to change anytime soon.

I was thinking about what that woman has seen in her life. The short list that comes to mind: World War I, the roaring '20's, the Great Depression, World War II, Elvis, Korea, Vietnam, Martin Luther King, Jr., 1968 as a pivotal year, man on the Moon, gas guzzlers, electric cars, the birth and death of the 8-track (thank heavens for its death), and now the election and inauguration of the first black president. It would be fascinating to talk with her and get her pulse on events she has witnessed. I think I'll do it if we can work out the logistics. Everything else I've been writing has been far too dull anyway.

No comments: