Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Girlfriends

My girlfriend Suzy is in town and we had tea this morning. I won't get to spend much time with her because she's doing some family stuff, but I have to say it was really terrific to see her. Suzy and I have been friends for almost 20 years. We haven't seen each other in about 15 of those years, but thanks to the advance of technology we have kept in constant contact. She knows my history, and I know what has been happening in her life and it was like we talked yesterday. We might get together this afternoon and take Callie for a hike, or we may have to wait until tomorrow, but I love that deep connection with my girlfriends. I don't have many, but the ones that are in my life are incredibly valuable to me, more so because they watched me walk through hell and back and loved me in spite of the awful things I did. It gives those friendships a very special place in my heart.

One thing she said to me that I have looked at before and am looking at again is a liver cleansing diet. I've gained a lot of weight since I've gotten sober (if I wasn't as active as I am I know I'd be ten times bigger). She mentioned that something like alcoholism gets us out of balance and we tend to stay out of balance one way or another because its what's comfortable to us who have damaged ourselves. I had a book at one point that was a diet book designed specifically to cleanse the liver, but I'm sure it got sold or dumped somewhere in Roswell. So I ordered it again today, and am looking at another book that discusses regeneration of a damaged metabolism and organs. I know that she has become a raw food advocate and it has helped her tremendously with many things, including weight loss. I know for me that when I eat better, I feel better, but I get these incredible intense, almost obsessive urges to consume junk food, a lot like the obsession to drink when I was active in my alcoholism. It doesn't help that I work in a grocery store and look at the beautiful, yummy looking pastries that people buy all day long! I also know that I'm tired of being fat and tired of not feeling good much of the time and just tired of being tired. That's the other great thing about girlfriends. They can give you gentle encouragement and nudges in the right direction! I'm so glad Suzy is in my life!

2 comments:

Suzy said...

And she is so so so happy that you are in hers! :)

Hey girlfriend! It was such a treat to see you, and I wish I had been able to spend more time. (Frankly, I wish I had just hung out with you in the hills instead of doing all the awful stuff like going through my mom's stuff, but alas.)

I started coming down with something on the last day, and by the time I was back home I had a full-blown chest cold. It's been over two years since I've had a cold! Both my sisters got it, too. I hope you don't catch it!

Anyway, big hugs to you, and thanks for being there!

PS
Check out Dr. Cabot's site at http://www.liverdoctor.com/
If I had known you didn't have your book anymore, I would have sent you mine!

gjwriter said...

Thank you! I do wish we'd had more time. You would have fallen in love with Colorado all over again if I could've gotten you up in the hills.

I ordered the book. That was the book I had before. I think in the mess that was my life in Roswell, it got sold or thrown out. So...another copy is in the mail! Thank you!