Sunday, March 29, 2009

Big issues

A friend celebrated five years sobriety this morning. He described a friend of his who has struggled and lost his battle. This friend is going back to prison, and will likely be there the rest of his life. In the process, he wrecked several lives along with his own. I am sorry for his friend, I understand how hard it is to fight that battle, and to really understand my only hope of victory is complete surrender. Alcohol brought me to my knees over and over and over again, and it almost took me from this world, I have no doubt. It took a lot for me to understand that there are significant consequences for my actions (my Dad used that phrase frequently while I was growing up, and I finally get it...I'm a little slow).

I hear those stories of failure and as bad as I feel for that person, it reminds me that today because I'm sober I have choices. My big issue this morning was whether to go ahead and sign up for a writing seminar in Gunnison in June. It's the end of the month, rent is due, and I'm going to just make it. So I decided no. Then I looked again, and decided that yes, I can swing it despite my abysmal budgeting techniques, the money is there and I have the choice today to participate. So I will.

No comments: