Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thank goodness


Colorado shoppers are much less likely to find beer, wine and liquor on supermarket shelves after a House committee on Wednesday killed a bill to expand alcohol sales and the prospects dimmed for two similarly aimed ballot initiatives.
It was the third time in as many years that a coalition of convenience stores, supermarkets and consumer advocates has been thwarted in the legislature.
House Bill 1279 would have allowed a supermarket to buy the license of a neighboring liquor store from its owners in the industry's most creative attempt yet to secure the beverages for their stores.
I, for one, am okay with this bill failing.  I lived in New Mexico for way too long and all I found was the ease of getting alcohol fueled my drinking.  I chase career drunks out of my store everyday, and I know we all get tired of dealing with the same drunk, different day.  I don't want to deal with hard liquor sales, 3.2 beer is reminder enough of why I no longer drink.

No comments: