Sunday, August 1, 2010

Summer vacation

It is summer vacation season.  I have two weeks off this year.  I'm looking forward to being away from work for a while and being able to focus on a writing project I'm working on and a class I'm now taking. Everyone is on vacation.  Friends from Hawaii are here for as long as they feel like it.  I think that's a great way to live.  Their lives are so easy at home and they travel when and where they want.  I think next year I'll have enough money to fly to Hawaii and see them, and I have three weeks vacation next year.  I love where they live.  It's the Kona side of the Big Island, and it is spectacular.  I really enjoyed my short time there years ago and am eager to repeat the journey.  But I'm still short on money, though I keep working on saving, so the little I have is taking me to California for a week this year to visit my aunt and uncle in Chico.  That's a nice place to go too.  It's north of Sacramento and Napa. A little college town that reminds me a lot of  Boulder.  They have a cabin in Chester.  A cute little mountain town in the Sierra's near Mt. Lasson and Mt. Shasta.  We're going to go lake kayaking.  I haven't done that before.  I'm looking forward to it.  


The neat thing about all of this is that I now get a chance to live and participate in life.  Because I'm sober, I have choices I didn't have while drinking.  I am grateful that I discovered this other way to live my life before it was too late, and I'm glad I'm am of sound enough mind to really be able to appreciate it and be grateful for it.  I look forward to many more vacations.  It would be great to have a traveling companion.  That may or may not ever happen.  No matter what I will make the most of it.