Saturday, September 18, 2010

The Lost Dogs

I think this book should be required reading for everyone.  The story Jim Gorant tells is so compelling.  Heart breaking and heart warming at the same time.  There is no blanket happy ending here.  Some of the dogs are doing well, some not, some have died.  He lays out the facts.  He shows the good, the bad and the ugly as it is, no punches pulled.  There are good people in this world.  The investigators who took this on. The feds who took this over.  They did the right thing for the right reasons.  The rescuers deserve to be supported and celebrated every single day.  They have taken the mindset of destroying all fighting dogs and turned it on its head, so to speak.  The result has been to evaluate dogs on their individual merits and personalities rather than clear the decks.  I hope that remains the effort.  Actually, I really hope dog fighting comes to a halt, but I fear it won't.  Mostly, I am more glad every single day that because I was able to look at these dogs and their journey, I made the right decision to keep Callie.  She got a lot of hugs and kisses as I was reading this book.  More than usual, but she deserves them all.

No comments: