Thursday, September 10, 2009

Ouray

I just got back from a day in Ouray. I feel so lucky to live in such a beautiful area of the country and that it's only two hours away to pure serenity. I've been on vacation this week and haven't done much other than hike around here because I'm working on a writing project that has to be submitted December 1st. It has gone well and so I took today to go up and soak myself in the hot springs and wander around one of my favorite towns. They call Ouray the Swiss Alps of the United States. It is easy to see why. Ouray is simply spectacular. Leaving Grand Junction, the San Juans are impressive from a distance. As I got closer to Ouray and the middle of the San Juans they became even more awe inspiring. Pretty soon those amazing mountains were wrapping themselves around me inviting me in. I love climbing to a higher altitude. There is something about thinner air that just relaxes me. I went directly to the pool and floated for about an hour looking all around me at the high mountain peaks. When I was done decompressing in the pools I wandered around town for a while. Went to the Backstreet Bagel company and had a bagel sandwich, the bookstore (of course) and a coffee shop for a warm drink. It was overcast and chilly there today and it rained while I was in the pools. Perfect weather to be in a hot spring frame of mind. I've been pretty content with this vacation. I've gotten done what I want to get done and had some time to get out of town. Tomorrow I'm off to Cedaredge to play golf with Mom and Dad. Then I have three more days to unwind before I hit the grind again. It has been so necessary and so worth it. I'll be glad to get back to work feeling rested and ready to go again for the fall.

No comments: