Saturday, October 3, 2009

The Ribbon

I talked mom into hiking the Ribbon with me yesterday. It was probably more than she should be doing right now, but she was trooper. One way is 3.1 miles from top to bottom. It starts on a massive rock and follows rock almost down the whole in a "Ribbon" pattern. The Ribbon is open to hikers and is a black diamond mountain bike trail. We didn't run into anyone, but it looks as if the trail is well used. It is a beautiful hike that has panoramic views of the valley from almost any vantage point along the trail. I would hike it again, but I won't go alone. There are some places that really require a second person there, if for no other reason than to call 911 if you get hurt (Callie can't dial a phone). It's actually not that bad, but it was tougher than I thought. I think we had a good time, I know for sure Callie did. We're both pretty tired this morning, so lazing around until I have to go to work. I'm glad I did this hike. It's not on my list of 100 things to do before I die, but it will have to do. I'm not sure I'll get anywhere close to doing the things on my list. Life never seems to work that way for me, I usually get what I don't want, so I keep my dreams small these days. This is a suitable substitute, I guess.



Looking back up the trail. The trail is actually carved into the rock and likely formed naturally by water run off.









Callie playing in the sand. She just loves sand.











Grand Junction in the background. The hill in the front is actually where the Eagle's Wing trail is. Callie and I run up that trail most everyday. The Ribbon trail ends at the bottom of that cliff about in the middle.







The Valley with Mt. Garfield in the distance. Now there is one challenging hike. Callie and I may do it someday. I've done most of it, but didn't' make it to the top. I'll try for the top next time.

No comments: