Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Here I go again...

I don't know what kind of access Michael Vick has had to newspapers, magazines and the Internet in prison, but it seems like the news that he is no longer a hot commodity has not yet filtered down to Michael Vick.


In papers he submitted to a bankruptcy court, Vick indicated that he plans on making $10 million per season, which I'm pretty sure would be a record for an ex-con who had a career quarterback rating of 75.7 when he went away. From the Atlanta Journal Constitution:


The embattled Atlanta Falcons quarterback is hoping to earn as much as $10 million a year or more, according to court filings in his bankruptcy case. Under the plan he submitted to the court, Vick would keep the first $750,000 of his annual income over the next five years. After that, a percentage would go to his creditors based on a sliding scale. [...]


In a March 4 court filing, Vick’s attorneys say he “has every reason to believe upon his release, he will be reinstated into the NFL, resume his career and be able to earn a substantial living.”
“He is hopeful to play quarterback,” Daniel Meachum, an attorney and business manager for Vick, said in an interview. “There is no person with his talent in that position in all the league.”
That may have been true at one time, but there are also no quarterbacks in the league who have spent the last nine months sitting in a jail cell and eating prison food. I'm not a nutritionist or anything, but I'm pretty sure that's not what NFL team doctors would recommend for keeping a guy in optimum game shape.

I, of course, had to comment. This article is getting a ton of buzz. I couldn't find my comment to post here there is so much activity. Ultimately, I think my Dad is right, Vick will be too old and too out of shape to be competitive. Whether he has worked out in prison or not, he has been limited in what he can do. I think his ego is too big, and he hasn't learned his lesson. I think he believes he is the victim here and will think it until he dies, and that is too bad. Truly, he could do some good. Someone commented that dog fighting has gone on for decades and still goes on. That doesn't make it right, doesn't make it any more legal, and certainly doesn't give someone the opportunity to go back to their lifestyle when they have received their proverbial slap on the wrist. I will repeat myself, he ran this operation for seven years, knowing it was illegal, knowing it was a felony, and knowing it became federal when he crossed state lines, and he did anyway. He was beyond cruel and he is a menace to society. I really hope he never plays again, but he probably will.


No comments: