Saturday, November 1, 2008

Wine

I had a lady ask me yesterday if our store sold wine. I told her no, and she looked at me like, "what kind of redneck place is this?" I always think that. Last time I went to California to visit my aunt and uncle, wine is in every grocery store. At the time I was still enjoying a a glass or two rather than the bottle and a half of later years, and it was nice to be able to pick out a bottle of wine on a Sunday afternoon.

The blue laws in Colorado were lifted in July. That means that liquor stores can be open on Sunday and grocery stores are able to carry more than 3.2 beer. So far our grocery chain has not added more choices and I hope they don't. It's not that I'm worried about my drinking, my being tempted, my issues, because really I just don't focus on booze anymore for myself other than to attend my meetings and talk about alcohol related topics that help keep me sober. Frankly, I don't want us to carry it because I don't want the responsibility. There are a lot of active drunks out there and they frequently do what I did, come to the store drunk and try to buy more booze. I've had to kick people out for being publicly intoxicated on a couple of occasions (I had one guy tell me to call the cops because he thought he had a right to buy because he was walking...they gave him a ride home sans the beer), and I don't want to deal with it anymore than I have too right now. I think the store feels the same way. We are a grocery store, and yes, it would be nice to grab a bottle of wine to have with dinner without having to stop two places, but our problem is the career drunk. I'm not judging, I was one to the worst degree. I just don't want to deal with people like I was, although, I have to say, they reinforce my sobriety each and every day.

No comments: