Saturday, January 17, 2009

Stuff

I spent the day helping Mom clean out my Grandmother's house. Grandma moved to assisted living a couple of months ago and we let her get used to it and then began the long process of cleaning out her home that she had lived in for almost 40 years. Grandma never threw anything away. The process of cleaning out was really longer than today. We moved the stuff she felt she had to have to her new place and then they had a sale to sell what she didn't take, and then Mom and I cleaned out what was left. I like my other Grandma's attitude. When she had to move she pretty much packed a suitcase and a couple of things and off she went. When Dad asked her about it, she said "it's just stuff". I hang on to family heirlooms and I have my favorite things. I was lucky when I left New Mexico to be together enough to hang on to those things that really meant something to me. It was sad the way I had to clean out the stuff in my life, but honestly, Grandma Lowe is right. It's just stuff. I have a whole new opportunity at a great new life without the burden of a ton of baggage, emotional and otherwise, and for that I'm grateful. I hope when I get to an age that I have to consider what stuff to keep, that I don't hang to things that I don't need or that don't mean much to me just to be surrounded by stuff. It is much easier to travel light.

No comments: