Saturday, May 3, 2008

In the Company of Writers

There are not a lot of published authors in my town. Therefore, I have surrounded myself with the company of writers by their books that inspire, provoke and motivate me to continue.

This quote motivates me: To be a good writer, you not only have to write a great deal, but you have to care. Anne Lamott

I haven't been writing a lot lately, and I can feel it. Writing practice has become as critical to me as breathing. I enjoy the process of writing, I enjoy seeing my writing improve as I practice; it is a form of meditation for me and provides a sense of well-being at the end of each session. That is how I know I care. The challenge has been that life gets in the way. As things free up, I hope that I make the time to get back on a static schedule. I'm tired of holding my breath.

Addendum: I finished this post and was thinking about a quote from "Bird by Bird", written by Anne Lamott. It is my favorite quote from a writer friend of hers: "It's not like you don't have a choice, because you do - you can either type or kill yourself."

No comments: